Pages

Friday, March 7, 2008

Visual Studio 2008 DVD Freezes PC

I've been spending the past day trying to install Visual Studio 2008 on my work pc (with Windows XP SP 2). Everytime I put in the VS2008 DVD, Windows Explorer freezes up and I cannot kill the process through the Task Manager. Eventually the whole OS freezes and I have to do a hard reboot to get it going again.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for the DVD writer - it did not work.

Technical support came and installed a new DVD writer in my pc. We tested it with a DVD (not the VS2008 one) and it worked fine. After the guy left I put in the VS2008 DVD and I had the same trouble over again.

So, I found this thread on a forum and it had the solution to my problem. In short:
  1. Right-click on the DVD drive
  2. Select Properties
  3. Goto the DLA tab
  4. Uncheck "Enable DLA on your drives"

I have Sonic installed on my pc and with that you get the DLA (Drive Letter Access) feature.

When I disabled it, my troubles were over.

No comments: